Huntington United Methodist Church
458 Highway 69S
Huntington, Texas 75949
Sunday school 10:00 AM
Worship 11:00 AM
The Front Door (Home Page)
The Entry Way (Making Connections – Come)
The Living Room (Building on Faith – Count)
The Dining Room (Getting Fed – Commit)
The Kitchen (Working to Serve – Covenant)
Church Administration – (The stuff that makes it work)
The Pastor’s Study
Welcome to My Study
I am so glad you came by for a visit. Welcome to my study. The pastor’s study, traditionally is a place where pastor’s are engrossed in, well study. From research for putting together sermons and Bible studies to planning at least some of the activities that happen in the life of any congregation.
Often there are other things that happen in the pastor’s study. It is often the thing most pastor’s I know like least about the job. Meetings (at least the meetings in the study tend to be small) and administration. I don’t think there are many people who like doing paperwork. I am not going to tell you there is not a pastor out there who likes doing paperwork but I don’t know of any, but we often do it anyway.
There is one other thing where the pastor’s study gets used. Some of the pastoral part of the job. The study is the place where people can meet with pastor. Over my years in ministry I have met with many couples before they were married. I have prayed and cried with family members who had just lost a precious saint of their family and of the church. It pleases me to say, being a part-time pastor and a spiritual director, that is how my study gets used most.
Dr. B. Ponders
Down the left side of this page you will find a list of months. Those are the archives to my blog. I hope to start writing on it again very soon. In the meantime, feel free to browse through the archives.
This lady is my wonderful wife Cindy. We were high school sweethearts. We got married one month after graduating from high school and I left for Navy boot camp less than two weeks later. After four years in the Navy it was back home but ministry was not anywhere in my thoughts though remembering back I know now God was calling much earlier but I was doing just about anything possible to keep from listening. I truly believe Cindy (with God’s help) is about all that kept me in the right direction.
Cindy and I married 42 years ago in Pasadena, Texas (we both claim Pasadena as our hometown). We have two grown sons. Our oldest, Wayne and his family live in the San Diego California area. Christopher, our youngest son and his family live in East Texas a little over an hour from our home.
Cindy and I have one other creature living in our house. Cindy is holding Bishop, the most fun one of the three of us, though he wasn’t really interested in having his picture taken in this one. We tell people, and it is the truth, when we adopted him from the shelter, his name was already Bishop. What kind of Methodist preacher would I be to not adopt a dog named Bishop?
My Spiritual Journey
- 1977 Sam Rayburn High School, Pasadena, Texas
- 1986 San Jacinto College, Pasadena, Texas Associate of Applied Science, Business Data Processing
- 1993 Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas Bachelor of Science, Political Science/History
- 1999 Southern Methodist University, Dallas Texas Master of Divinity
- 2004 Carolina University of Theology, Iron Station, North Carolina Doctor of Ministry
- 1991-1993 – Elwood United Methodist Church, Midway, Texas
- 1993-1995 – First United Methodist Church, Lovelady, Texas
- 1993-1995 – Center Hill United Methodist Church, Kennard, Texas
- 1995-1997 – First United Methodist Church, Canton, Texas (Associate)
- 1997-1999 – Mt. Sylvan United Methodist Church, Lindale, Texas
- 1997-1999 – Union Chapel United Methodist Church, Van, Texas
- 1999-2001 – First United Methodist Church, Grapeland, Texas
- 2001-2004 – Pleasant Retreat United Methodist Church, Tyler, Texas
- 2005-2008 – Aldersgate United Methodist Church, Santa Fe, Texas
- 2008-2013 – First United Methodist Church, Freeport, Texas
- 2008-2013 – Oyster Creek United Methodist Church, Oyster Creek, TX
- 2013-2016 – First United Methodist Church, Diboll, Texas
- 2016-2018 – First United Methodist Church, Sweeny, Texas
- 2018-2019 – First United Methodist Church, Groveton, Texas
- 2018-2019 – Prairie View United Methodist Church, Groveton, Texas
- 2019- – Huntington United Methodist Church, Huntington, Texas
- 1977 – 1981 – United States Navy (Second Class Petty Officer) Honorable Discharge